Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Focus

So, being so wrapped up in work means that I don’t get reviews up in a timely fashion… That sucks… However. A friend and I went to see the new Will Smith movie ‘Focus’. And here’s what I thought of it…

The movie is about Nicky (Will Smith) who grew up in the realm of con artists and became quite a successful one himself, having a team of other con artists that he works with on a regular basis; not to go for the big score to set yourself up for a life time, but to live a plush, comfortable life. Which seems to be a system that Nicky is accustom to. That is until Margot Robbie’s character, Jess comes into play. She’s a young woman who is trying to learn how to con people on a professional level, such as the level Nicky is already on. To her own mistake she takes him as a mark and is caught instantly. Jess is floored by Nicky’s skill and all but begs for him to train her; which she is of course a natural at. Things between Nicky and Jess become hot and heavy until he bows out feeling it to be the best for the both of them. Three years later, Nicky is working on a big deal when Jess falls back into the picture.
Overall… Plot was pretty predictable. Boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, there’s always a bump in the road, and then they live happily ever after. However, I can honestly say there were at least two twists that snuck up on me throughout the movie. Will Smith will forever be one of my favorite actors, whom I swear doesn’t age anymore. His character gets a few good one liners in there, and is certainly convincing in his role as a con artist, as he is meant to be of course. Margot Robbie, I’ve never seen any of the other movie’s that she has been in so I can’t really speak for her acting skill. However, the pair of them together with the subject matter and the scripting; I rather liked the movie, as did the friend that I went with. Of course it left us both wanting to learn how to remove someone’s wallet, or watch without them noticing; and also wondering how the hell someone wouldn’t notice their watch suddenly leaving their own wrist…
Gerald McRaney’s character was one of my favorites, even if he wasn’t meant to be the main character, nor a really liked character throughout the majority of the movie. He is very similar to someone that I work with and just all around the perfect grumpy old man of sorts. McRaney has, positively, the best line throughout the entire movie, and is involved heavily in one of the bigger plot twists (the one that I really didn’t see coming).
According to IMDB the movie was a 6.8 out of ten. Which is apt in my opinion, it wasn’t a stellar, mind blowing amazing movie; but it certainly wasn’t terrible. If you’re just looking for an interesting, albeit predictable movie, feel free to go see it. No one could ever go horribly wrong with the Fresh Prince afterall.

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment and tell me your opinion on the movie!

1 comment:

  1. Great job it is awesome to see others posting on here. :) Good work Andi

    ReplyDelete