Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mortal Kombat!! (You know you just yelled it like the song...)

Let’s start this off by saying that I have always, always been a fan of Mortal Kombat games. Perhaps in part to the fact that my mother refused to allow me to play them as a child… Which just meant that I played as hard as I could at anyone’s house that had the games, or in any arcade format that I could get my hands on. I of course always favored the female characters, Sonya having been my favorite for the absolute longest time. Girl power and all… Thanks Spice Girls. So when I first read about MKX coming out I looked into what characters were going to be available to me. Sadly I didn’t see some of those that I have come to love, Li Mei being one of them. I was bummed out that I would have to once again learn all of these new fancy characters and their stories and moves.

I can honestly say that the story mode is worth playing! The story is in depth, well thought out, and expertly executed. And the new characters that I had made myself worry about, are actually rather playable. My favorite being Sonya’s daughter, Cassie Cage; she’s a quick spitfire with hard hitting moves. MKX has followed in the ways of the previous games and brought back the Xray moves, each specifically designed per character. The fatalities are just as gruesome as ever; blood and guts galore. There are multiple styles of playing within the story mode. It really is a story, you do a lot of watching cut scenes and learning the background, but within there is also quick hitting trigger buttons and plenty of fights. You aren’t limited to just playing the side of the good guys, some of the fights you are the ‘bad guy’ characters. Though, this does at a certain level of predictability within the game.
The more I play into the story mode the happier I keep getting. For as upset as I was about not having some of my favorite characters as playables, it is still nice to see them in the story mode. And it seems that the further into the story mode I’m getting the more characters that are showing up. Did they forget absolutely any of them? So far, the answer has been ‘no’. – Side note… I googled it… There’s a lot missing, I think I was just being biased based on those that I actually liked
Each level has a predetermined limit of features that are able to be interacted with. Some designed to help you distance yourself from your opponent, whereas others help damage the others by throwing pots, flinging ashes, and even tossing old ladies (my personal favorite right there.). Maybe my mind is a bit more twisted than it should be, but some of the interactions are just laughable.

Now. I haven’t played through the game fully, nor do I wish to give away any plot spoilers, but I will say that this game is well worth the money. I think the only grievance I have had with the game so far is the way that they’ve handled the Krypt. And it isn’t even so much how you use the krypt, it is just the movement in which you go through the krypt. Minus that, I don’t really have anything negative to say about the game thus far… And I hope that it’ll stay that way.



Fast forward like 2 hours or so and I beasted through the entire story line. I still say it was a good story line. I still approve of everything. Now, me being me I do wish that the story line would have been longer. However on the other side of the same coin if they had made it longer, it may have felt drawn out.



Let me know what ya’ll think of the game if you’ve played it. Or if you have intentions of playing the game! I had fun with it. I’d love to know what ya’ll think!

1 comment:

  1. Great work, I love the passion that went into this. :)

    ReplyDelete